Traku Street Vilnius

Traku Street begins at the junction of Pylimo street and J. Basanaviciaus street, and its continuation, Dominikonu Street - descends to Universiteito street where it becomes Sv. Jono, which runs into Pilies Street.

Church of the Assumption and Franciscan Monastery

Church of the Assumption and Franciscan Monastery Vilnius Traku Street

Church of the Assumption and Franciscan Monastery Vilnius Traku Street

Located on the junction of Traku street and Pranciskonu Street is the complex of the Church of the Assumption and Franciscan Monastery. A church stood on this site back in the middle of the 14th century. The existing Gothic building was reconstructed in the Baroque period, but did not function as a church during tsarist or Soviet times.

Reconsecrated at the end of the 20th century, it also recently recovered its revered statue of the Pregnant Madonna. A monument to the well-known philanthropist Jozef Montwill (1932, sculptor Boleslaw Balzukiewicz) stands in the churchyard, next to the Suzin Chapel.

Church of St. Nicholas Vilnius

church-of-st-nicholas-vilnius

Church of St. Nicholas Vilnius

Pranciskonu Street leads to the gothic Church of St. Nicholas(Sv. Mikalojaus). This was the only sanctuary in Vilnius to hold services in Lithuanian in the period 1901-1939, and was also a hearth of Lithuanian culture during the Soviet occupation. A statue of St. Christopher (sculptor Antanas Kmieliauskas), patron saint of Vilnius, unveiled in the churchyard in 1959, served to kindle the townspeople's patriotic feelings. During the Soviet occupation the Vilnius curia occupied the building next to the church.

AddressSv. Mikalojaus Street 4, Vilnius

Church of the Holy Spirit Vilnius

church-of-the-holy-spirit-vilnius

Church of the Holy Spirit Vilnius

Back in the 16th century brick buildings lined both sides of Dominikonu Street. Its most magnificent edifice, the monumental baroque Church of the Holy Spirit, has a 51 meters high cupola. It's thought that the first sanctuary was built here in the 14th century by Duke Gediminas. The church was given to the Dominican cloister in 1501. Its resent-day walls appeared in 1688, its decor in 1749-1770.

AddressDominikonu Street 8, Vilnius

Traku Street and Dominikonu Street on a Map

Weather In Vilnius Lithuania

Weather Icon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *
Email *
Website