Tartu, the capital and largest city of Tartu County, is Estonia's second largest city after the national capital, Tallinn. The estimated population of Tartu was just over 100,000 people in 2009. It's known as the most important cultural and intellectual hub in Estonia, mainly due to the renowned University of Tartu. Its nickname is "The City of Good Thoughts." The city, like Estonia as a whole, has had a long and eventful history.
A. Le Coq Beer Museum Tartu
Tartu is the birthplace of beer brewing in Estonia. It has been a beer city for almost 1000 years. A beer museum opened on the territory of the A. Le Coq Brewery in 2003. The museum introduces the history of industrial beer brewing. Almost 2,000 items on display in the malt tower built in 1898: beer bottles and caps, tankards and barrels.
Guests can see the equipment used for domestic brewing and old industrial brewing equipment. A fascinating item is an A. Le Coq bottle that spent 150 years at the bottom of a sea. All museum visits end at the museum pub, where guests of the museum can sample A. Le Coq's beverages.
|Address||Laulupeo puiestee 15, Tartu, Estonia|
St. Paul's Church Tartu
The St. Paul’s Church is the only Estonian sacral building in art nouveau style, as well as one of the most outstanding 20th century sacral buildings in Estonia. The church and its wings form one of the most remarkable ensembles of sacral architecture. The Finnish-American architect Eliel Saarinen designed the church in 1913. Completion of the construction and consecration of the building took place in 1917.
The interior came to completion in 1919. There was a fire in the church during the WWII. However, the congregation initiated its partial restoration, so it was re-consecrated in 1966. Today, the church has been completely restored based on the design by Merja Nieminen and Kari Järvinen, Finnish architects. They got their inspiration from Eliel Saarinen.
|Address||Riia 27, 51010 Tartu, Estonia|
Toomemagi Park Tartu
The Toomemägi park in Tartu was a given to the University of Tartu by Emperor Paul I. It was first used by townsfolk to graze cattle. For hundreds of years, it had been the central point of the local population, later becoming the site of an episcopal castle – the heart of medieval Tartu. In the early decades of the 19th century, the university's plantation committee decided to turn it into a public park with alleys of trees, paved roads and bridged gulleys.
Along with the library, anatomical theater, observatory and clinic it formed the intellectual focal point of the city. The park is a popular gathering point for students of Tartu University. A nice attraction to see in the evening (it has fabulous lighting) is the Angel Bridge.
Tartu University (UT) is Estonia's leading center of research and training. It preserves the culture of the Estonian people and spearheads the country's reputation in research and provision of higher education. UT belongs to the top 3% of world's best universities. As Estonia's national university, UT stresses the importance of international co-operation and partnerships with reputable research universities all over the world. The robust research potential of the university shows because the UT joined the Coimbra Group, a prestigious club of renowned research universities. The university includes four faculties. To support and develop the professional competence of its students and academic staff, the university has entered into bilateral co-operation agreements with 64 partner institutions in 23 countries.
The Swedish king Gustavus Adolphus founded the University of Tartu in 1632. It was first called Academia Dorpatensis. Johan Skytte, governor-general of Livonia made the necessary preparations for creating a university in the city (then Dorpat). Academia Dorpatensis, modelled after the University of Uppsala in Sweden, intended to pursue research and advance learning in a variety of disciplines. The university has continued to adhere to this approach throughout the centuries, and remains today the only classical university in Estonia. Research at UT focuses on subjects as diverse as medicine and philosophy, genetics and computer science.
|Address||Ülikooli 18, 50090 Tartu, Estonia|
Tartu International Airport
Tartu International Airport is in Ülenurme, Tartu county. The length of the runway is 1799 meters and width 31 meters. Traveling past the Võru highway outside of Tartu, 1 km after highway junction with traffic lights you come to a right-hand side road (about 6 km after you leave the city limits). At this junction a sign indicates that the airport is 2 km. You can also get to the airport, when leaving Tartu, by way of the Valga highway, taking turn to the left near village Külitse. Tartu airport´s main activities include regular international flights, providing also services for private and charter flights. Tartu airport is also a base airport for training flights of Estonian Aviation Academy.
In 2008-2013 comprehensive restructuring works were carried out in the airport. The runway extended in 2008 to 1,799 meters, new CAT I runway lights were installed and an auxiliary building to the air control tower with a 360 degree view was built. In 2009 the passenger terminal has been renovated and a service equipment garage was built. In 2010 the navigation equipment ILS CAT I was installed on landing course 26 and DME and radio beacons on course 08, in 2011 an aircraft service hall and hangar were built. As a result of renovation works, the airport is able to service international regular flights according to right operations requirements.
|Address||Lennu 44, Tartu, Estonia|
Tartu Map and Local Weather
Weather in Tartu
Snow showers. High 27F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
High 27° / Low 24°
Snow showers. High around 25F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
High 25° / Low 21°
Overcast. High 23F. Winds light and variable.
High 23° / Low 16°
Cloudy skies. High 19F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
High 19° / Low 12°
Cloudy skies. High 17F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
High 17° / Low 15°