Visit The Kosovo Museum Pristina
Muzej Kosova/Muzeu i Kosovës
The Austrians built this pretty villa housing the Kosovo Museum in Pristina for the Turkish army in 1898. The Yugoslav national army used it until 1975. The museum had a rich collection of prehistoric objects uncovered in Kosovo. These were all moved to Belgrade before the troubles started in 1998. Hundreds of archaeological finds and ethnographic items have to be returned.
The large permanent archaeology exhibition details life in the region in the Illyrian, Dardanian and Roman periods. It comes with good English-language texts, all accompanied by Philip Glass minimal music. Center stage is the 6,000 year old statue, found at Tjerrtorja in 1956 and returned to Pristina in 2002.
In front of the building some artillery hardware represents recent history. Two large Jewish gravestones remind of another recent exodus drama.
|Address||Ibrahim Lutfiu, Pristina|
Visit The Kosova Art Gallery
Behind the National Library, this large exhibition building consists of two exhibition halls. These cover almost 500 square meters. It showcases work by local, young artists. Owned and operated by the Ministry of Culture & Sports, the museum also does educational work with young children.
In front of the entrance stands Pristina’s most interesting public artwork. It's a constellation of metal beams jutting out over the footpath like mikado sticks.
Visit The Pristina Ethnographic Museum
A lovely traditional 18th century house set in a walled complex with several other buildings is the only original building left in the old bazaar area. Once owned by Emin Gjiku, a nickname for Emin Gjinolli, whose family owned the house, the complex turned into a museum in 2006.
Professional guides are at hand to give English-language tours. They tell about the traditional architecture typical for the region, and show the separate guest and family parts of the house, filled with exhibits on clothing, birth and burial rituals, handicrafts and more.
The museum sells traditional gifts including white eggshell plis hats.
|Address||Rr Iliaz Agushi, Pristina|
Stacion - Center for Contemporary Art Prishtina
Stacion - Center for Contemporary Art Prishtina is the only project institution for contemporary art and architecture in Kosovo. Established in 2006 by artist Albert Heta and architect Vala Osmani, Stacion is a space for artists, architects, thinkers, critics and other sociopolitical workers committed in reflecting and responding on relevant challenges of the contemporary society with an active and critical approach.
The Art Center functions is an open platform. It employs strategies to build up a dialogue with a diverse public. They work with clear social and political intents; encourages artistic practice and advanced architectural research, stands for intellectual independence and works to create conditions where contemporary thought and practice can happen. It's committed to the re-creation of the necessary momentum for the advance and emancipation of the contemporary art scene and cultural environment of Kosovo.
Stacion focuses on local practice as well as regional, European and international processes.