Church of St Peter and St Paul Riga
The Orthodox Church of St Peter and St Paul, built within the fortress known as the Riga Citadel, is one of the outstanding Classical style monuments in the Baltic region. Catherine II, Empress of Russia issued an edict in 1776, which allowed the church its establishment. In 1780, George Brown, Governor of the Livonian Province, sought permission to this Orthodox cathedral in the Citadel after the model of the new church in Daugavgriva Fortress.
The new cathedral is from 1785, and the exquisite bell tower became the architectural focus of the whole Citadel complex. In the years of the Soviet occupation, the church turned into an ammunition dump for the Civil Aviation Institute. Later it was abandoned and vandalized.
Between 1980 and 1987, reconstruction work was undertaken, and the building became a concert hall for the Riga Chamber Choir Ave Sol.
Daugavgriva White Church Riga
The Daugavgriva White Church is at Vecmilgravis. A wooden church was on the land of Mangali Manor already in 1640, and in 1786, a new stone church emerged half a mile closer to Riga, in the former bank of the River Daugava. The bell tower collapsed because its foundations were weak, and was rebuilt in 1788.
The composition and proportions of the building are traditional for 18th century Baroque and Early Classical Lutheran churches of the Vidzeme region. The spire acquired a bacon. It still serves as a landmark for fishing vessels entering the harbor of Rinuzi.
The White Church suffered almost no damage during the two wars of the last century, or during the Soviet occupation. Major repairs were undertaken in 1926.
Mezaparks Northern District Riga
Mezaparks is one of the most beautiful, greenest, and one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in Riga. It's a popular recreation area as well.
After the Swedish king set up a military camp here in the 17th century, the area became known as Keninu mezs (the Forest of Kings). Later on, the name transformed into Kaiserwald (German for the King’s Forest). The neighborhood acquired its present name (Forest Park in Latvian) only in 1923.
Residents of Keninu mezs
The earliest records of residents living in the area go back to the 14th century, when there were a number of small manors, farms and fishermen’s homes in the neighbourhood, who also sold their produce in Riga. The environs of Lake Kisezers, however, were a popular place with Riga residents in the summer.
Farmers lived in the area until halfway through the 19th century, when construction of summer houses began there, continuing into the 20th century. Several hundred villas emerged in Mezaparks during that time.
Situated next to the recreation park at Lake Kisezers, there is one of the most popular recreation places with city dwellers – the Riga Zoo, a true friend of nature with traditions spanning several centuries, which offers modern-day opportunities for exploring nature all year round, all the while enjoying the experience. The zoo presents captivating insight into living nature's diversity, and features exciting guided tours.
Gustav Adolf Chapel
This small Lutheran church is in Mežaparks, where in 1911 the Baugesellschaft Joint-Stock Company purchased the land and buildings of the former Grāvji Manor, on the shore of Lake Ķīšezers. The director of the company proposed that a disused manor building be altered to serve the needs of the local German congregation. Funding came from the Baltic German Gustav Adolf Society.
Weather in Riga
Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday. A few snow showers.
Scattered flurries and snow showers. High 29F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 30%.
High 29° / Low 24°
Cloudy. High 26F. Winds light and variable.
High 26° / Low 21°
Cloudy. High 24F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
High 24° / Low 18°
Cloudy. High around 20F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph.
High 20° / Low 16°
Cloudy. Snow showers developing in the afternoon. High 22F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
High 22° / Low 20°