Moletai (Molėtai) is a district center surrounded by recreational lakes on the bank of the Siesartis River along the Vilnius-Utena road. Its names comes from the common noun molėtas - clayey, clay colored. The town was mentioned in a 1387 writ in which Jogaila gave a village by that name to the bishop of Vilnius.
The settlement expanded in the 19th century, but was ravaged by fire in 1907. It was also exposed to heavy fire damage during the Second World War and has for this reason retained few of its older buildings. A small row of red brick shops (end of 19th century beginning of 20th century) facing sideways on to Inturkė gatvė forms an interesting complex of trade buildings.
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Moletai
The 1907 Neo-Baroque Church of St. Peter and St. Paul has two paintings with metal raiment of the Madonna and Child. A group of sculptures by Mindaugas Navakas, Paulius Stanikas and other artists emerged in the town on the shore of Lake Pastovis at the end of the 20th century.
A monument in the central square to a district Bolshevik cow-herder named Vytautas Putna (1982, Gediminas Jokūbonis) was donated to Grūto parkas at the end of the same century.
More information about Moletai