Krk is the largest of the Adriatic islands, with an area of 409 square km (158 sq miles). A bridge links the island to the mainland, built to offer good connections to the island's international airport. Along the eastern coast the island looks almost ghostly, its white rocks swept by the bora wind. Inland and on the more protected western coast, there's rich, lust vegetation.
Short history of Krk
Krk was first inhabited by the Liburnians, followed by the Romans, who founded Curicum (the present-day Krk) and Fulfinum. Trace of walls baths and villas with floor mosaics still remain.
In the 6th century it came under Croatian rule and after the Frankish and Byzantine occupation it became part of the possessions of Venice. It was then granted to Dujam I, founder of the Frankopan family, and from 1480 to 1797 it was directly ruled by Venice. Krk was a center for Glagolitic script and the Baška Tablet, now in the Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences in Zagreb, came from this island.
The town developed in the Middle Ages on the site of the Roman town of Curicum. The wall and 3 Venetian city gates are still visible: the city gate with a guard tower called Kamplin, the Sea Gate (Pisana) and the Upper Gate.
Facing the main square are Renaissance-era buildings and in the area of the Roman baths is the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption. It dates from the 1100's but modified since. The three-aisle church has a facade of light-colored stone. Inside are four paintings by Cristoforo Tasca, and a fine wooden Baroque pulpit.
St. Quirinus Church Krk
The treasury is in the neighboring Church of St. Quirinus (the patron saint of the city) which houses the Diocesan Museum.
This has works from the cathedral and other churches on the island, including the silver Frankopan altarpiece depicting the Virgin Mary in Glory and a polyptych by Paolo Veneziano.
Behind the cathedral stands the Frankopan castle with 4 square towers from 1191, and a round tower from the Venetian period. Inside the walls are churches dedicated to Our Lady of Health and St. Francis. The latter has an engraved wooden pulpit.