Piasek, known as Garbary until the 19th century, is west of the Old Quarter of Krakow. Frequent invasion and a lack of fortifications to prevent them hindered its development in the past. A number of settlements with independent jurisdictions existed between Garbary and Wawel. They included Groble, Smolensko, Wielkorzadowa, Wygoda, Retoryka and Rybaki, as well as Nowy Swiat which remained under Krakow's jurisdiction.
All these settlements were integrated by the Austrian authorities. By the end of the 19th century Piasek (Sand) and Nowy Swiat (New World) began to flourish. Wealthy residents moved in, drawn by the pleasant and tranquil atmosphere away from the noisy town center. As a result, some of the best residential architecture can be found here. It's mostly eclectic in style, dating from the start of the 20th century.
The Society of Friends of Music, which was active in Krakow between 1817 and 1884, was the first philharmonic organization in occupied Poland. The Szymanowski State Philharmonia established itself in Krakow in 1945. Walery Bierdiajew, Andrzej Panufnik and Krzysztof Penderecki were among the principal conductors.
The renowned chamber orchestra, Capella Cracoviensis compliment the orchestra and choir. The hall is in the former Catholic Cultural Institution. Pokutynski and Filipkiewicz built it between 1928 and 1930 in the Neo-Classical style which was popular with Polish architects around 1930.
|Address||Zwierzyniecka 1, Krakow|
|Telephone||+48 12 422 94 77|
Capuchin Church Krakow
The Capuchin friars arrived in Krakow in 1695. The began constructing the church and friary a year later. Carlo Ceroni supervised the work at first and Martino Pellegrini succeeded him later. The simple interior reflects the strict rule of the Order which espouses extreme poverty.
The altars, however,feature good paintings. They include The Annunciation by Pietro Dandini, St. Erasmus and St. Cajetan, two 18th century effigies by Lukasz Orlowski and St. Francis of Assisi by Szymon Czechowicz. A wooden crucifix in front of the church indicates the tomb of the Confederates of Bar who fell in a rebellion against the Russians in 1768.
Between 1712 and 1719 Kacper Bazanka designed and built an external Loreto Chapel. A cloister links it to the church. It houses a Neo-Classical altar with a miraculous statue of the Madonna of Loreto and a beautiful tabernacle, also designed by Bazanka. Every year there's an animated Christmas crib here, featuring historic Polish characters.
|Address||Loretańska 11, Krakow|
|Telephone||+48 12 422 48 03|
Emeryk Hutten-Czapski Museum
This small palace in the Renaissance Revival Style is from 1884. It's by the architect Antoni Siedek who built it for Hubert Krasinski. A few years later Emeryk Hutten-Czapski, who moved from the Vilnius area, purchased the property, bringing with him an exquisite collection of coins, prints and manuscripts.
|Address||Józefa Piłsudskiego 13, Krakow|
|Telephone||+48 12 433 58 40|
Carmelite Church Krakow
According to a legend, Duke Wladyslaw Herman cured his skin disease by rubbing sand on the infected areas. He took the sand from a site miraculously indicted by the Virgin Mary. Because of this the site got the name Piasek (Sand), and a votive church founded by the duke emerged in 1087. Thus was born the legend of the Madonna of the Sand.
The church was actually founded by Queen Jadwiga in 1395. It was almost entirely destroyed during the Swedish invasion in the 17th century and its remnants were incorporated into the new Baroque church consecrated in 1679.
Interior of the Carmelite Church
The magnificent high altar, from 1698 and 1699, and lavishly decorated with acanthus leaves, is worth noting. The splendid stalls and the balcony with the organ, both by Jan Hankis, are also of interest. An icon of the Madonna of the Sand, painted directly on the wall, is much venerated.
|Address||ul. Karmelicka 19, Krakow|
|Telephone||+48 12 632 67 52|
Jagiellonian Library Krakow
For many centuries the venue of the library of the Jagiellonian University was in the Collegium Maius. The new building, constructed between 1931 and 1931, is by a design by Waclaw Krzyzanowski. It has impressive modern forms. The interior is spacious and functional.
It's not only the success of the design but also the high quality of craftsmanship and the use of luxurious materials that make this building an outstanding example of Krakow's architecture in the interwar years.
A new wing of the library, designed by Romuald Loegler, was completed in 2001, when the university celebrated the 6th centenary of its re-establishment. The new wing matches the forms of the old building.
|Address||ul. Oleandry 13, Krakow|
|Telephone||+48 12 633 09 03|
Weather in Krakow
Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday. Afternoon rain at times, windy.
Cloudy this morning then becoming windy with rain developing this afternoon. High 47F. Winds WSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
High 47° / Low 41°
Chance of Rain
Windy. Showers early with clearing later in the day. High around 45F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
High 45° / Low 35°
Chance of Rain
Cloudy. Some light rain is likely. High 51F. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
High 51° / Low 42°
Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 54F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
High 54° / Low 41°
Chance of Rain
Becoming cloudy with occasional light rain in the afternoon. High 56F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
High 56° / Low 44°