History of Kolobrzeg
Kolobrzeg is one of the oldest cities in West Pomerania. A fortified settlement stood here already in the 8th century. By 1255 the town gained civic rights and was a center of salt production, trade, and fishing and by the 14th century was a member of Baltic Hanseatic League. The Dukes from Brandenburg took the town over and immediately turned into a fortress. Since then the city began falling into decline and the Russians captured it during the Seven Year War.
Napoleon's armies besieged the Kolobrzeg Fortress in 1807 but this time held out till the signing of a peace treaty ending the war. By order of the King of Prussia in 1872, the city's fortifications were gradually dismantled which changed its character. During World War I the sanatoria and holiday homes transformed into a huge military hospital and during the Battle for Kolobrzeg, towards the end of World War II, more than 95% of the city and all spa facilities were destroyed.
Kolobrzeg as a seaside resort
As a seaside resort, the city began being visited early in the 19th century. Modeled on English resorts, it became fashionable to bathe in the sea as the notion that this lead to improved health and well-being soon changed the negative attitude towards the use of sea water in this form. The use of brine from natural sources at the Kolobrzeg spa facilities dates back to 1830 and made it very popular as other coastal health resorts use heated sea water for this purpose. The upgrading of the resort came with new investments after 1872 and construction of therapeutic facilities along with their accompanying infrastructure.
A measure of the future aspirations of this health resort was the building of an exclusive treatment center, completed in 1899, with the most modern equipment of the time and called the Coastal Palace. This one facility met all the criteria of a modern health spa and became a model for other resorts.
Spa and Sanatorium
After rebuilding works to both the city and the spa the first patients returned to Kolobrzeg in 1952 with the opening of a sanatorium for children. Over the following years, extensive reconstruction and development of hospitals, sanatoria, holiday homes, and residences have led to Kolobrzeg receiving official spa status in 1967. Today Kolobrzeg is the largest spa resort in Poland and one of the leading resorts in the medical tourism market. All facilities have state of the art equipment used by specially trained people. A holiday at this seaside resort is more often than not linked to some therapeutic spa treatments.
There are treatments for respiratory and cardiovascular disease, disorders of the endocrine system and metabolism here. Treatments for children include those for asthma, diabetes, thyroid, obesity and skin allergies. The city is also a center for medical rehabilitation.
A number of cultural institutions are responsible for filling the spare time of both patients and tourists by staging various concerts, spectacles and artistic events. Leisure activities are available at sports centers, stadiums, sports halls, at the ice rink or the water park or just by hiking or cycling along the many prepared trails.
Built some time in the 1500's, Kolobrzeg Cathedral is a Gothic basilica, built as a catholic temple, later turned into a Lutheran one, and since 1970's - again to catholic. For centuries the church was repeatedly damaged in multiple wars that had swept through Kolobrzeg. In 1945 Soviet shellfire destroyed the double tower crown of the cathedral, and was rebuilt in 1958 in the shape visible today. Not much of the historical decor or artifacts remain.
However, the still available ones include a 4 meters tall seven-branched Gothic candelabra, two chandeliers, a bronze one from the 15th century and a wooden one from the 16th century, a 14th century baptismal bowl, and three altars: "The Last Supper", "Adoration of The Magi" and "St. Anne and St. Nicolas". The real treat is a lift ride or a climb up a steep, helix-like staircase of over 100 steps right to the tower top. The panoramic view of the whole city is simply breathtaking.
|Address||Mariacka 5, Kolobrzeg|
|Telephone||+48 94 352 61 50|
The Water Tower is a red brick structure built in Neo-Gothic style in 1885. At the highest point of the Tower there is an original water tank which could hold 720 m³ of water. Pumped water from the Parseta River was then distributed to the buildings.
It was in operation until March 2015. Currently the Tower is in use as a local brewery and restaurant Colberg. They serve regional beer and traditional cuisine.
|Address||ul. Morska 1, Kolobrzeg|
|Telephone||+48 502 058 767|
Weather in Kolobrzeg
Clear. Lows overnight in the low 50s.
Sunny skies. High 68F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
High 68° / Low 46°
Mainly sunny. High near 65F. Winds light and variable.
High 65° / Low 47°
Generally sunny despite a few afternoon clouds. High around 60F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
High 60° / Low 48°
Partly cloudy skies. High 57F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
High 57° / Low 47°