Praga Warsaw District 14 Must See Sites

Lifesize Sculpture Praga Warsaw
Cross the Vistula River from the Old Town of Warsaw and you’ll find yourself in Praga. Characterized by its crumbling factories, warehouses and gritty streets, this arty underbelly hugging the east side of the Visulta is undeniably cool, with new bohemian bars, galleries, studios and...
Continue reading »

Marshal Street Warsaw

Palace of Culture and Science Warsaw
The monumental Zacheta building near Marshal Street was constructed between 1899 and 1903, on behalf of the Society for the Promotion of Fine Art (Towarzystwo Zachety Sztuk Pieknych). Usually it's simply called Zacheta.  The Neo-Renaissance design was by Stefan Szyller, the leading architect of Warsaw's Revival...
Continue reading »

Lazienki Park Warsaw

Lazienki Park Warsaw
The area around Lazienki Park in Warsaw includes parks, palaces and other historic buildings, museums and government departments. Extending south from Three Crosses (Trzech Krzyzy) Square, the main thoroughfare is Ujazdowskie Avenue, along which the former residences of Polish aristocrats and the city's wealthy merchant...
Continue reading »

Warsaw Solidarity Avenue

Pac Palace Warsaw Poland
From the end of the 18th century to the mid-19th, Warsaw Solidarity Avenue (Aleja Solidarności) and Plac Teatralny (Theater Square) was Warsaw's commercial center. The grand Neo-Classical buildings of the area, with their impressive colonnades, are from the 1820's. These include the Grand Theater (Teatr Wielki),...
Continue reading »

Day trips from Warsaw Poland

The flat plains of Mazovia surround Warsaw, varied by extensive forests and the river Vistula, the only European river which still follows its natural, unregulated course. There are several historic towns and attractions which offer a leisurely day trip from Warsaw. These include the ruined medieval castle...
Continue reading »

Former Jewish Ghetto Warsaw

Before World War II, the northwest part of the city center of Warsaw comprised a large and mainly Jewish district known as Nalewki. Warsaw's Jewish population was then about 450,000, the largest after New York. In 1940 the Nazis turned Nalewki into the Jewish Ghetto...
Continue reading »

Warsaw New Town Poland

Gunpowder Building Warsaw
Nowe Miasto (Warsaw New Town) was originally known as New Warsaw. The area began to develop at the end of the 14th century, along a thoroughfare leading from the Old Town to the village of Zakroczym, on the banks of the River Vistula. In 1408...
Continue reading »