National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina was founded on February 1, 1888 and was first housed in a building next to the Sarajevo Cathedral. Construction of the facility in Marijin Dvor, the museum’s current home, got underway in 1909 and was completed in 1913 and designed by Karl Paržik.
This Sarajevo museum allows visitors to take “a short walk” through Bosnia and Herzegovina's past, from earliest times all the way to the ethnology exhibit, whose interior captures the atmosphere of a traditional city house during the Ottoman period.
The permanent exhibit, Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Middle Ages, takes up three separate halls which contain archaeological pieces dating from the Middle Ages. Among the 11,500 items on display, there are some that even adorned the interior of the palace where the royal Kotromanić family resided.
The most valuable item in the museum’s collection is the famous Sarajevo Haggadah, which the Sephardic Jews brought to Sarajevo when they left Spain. There is also the rich collection in the natural history section which covers both living and non-living worlds, including a skeleton of a bearded vulture, a bird with a giant wingspan which used to fly in the skies above Bosnia and Herzegovina not that long ago.
There is a botanical garden in the central part of the complex, home to more than 3,000 types of plants, including some endemic varieties. Some of the most representative examples of Bosnian stećci can also be found among the greenery.
|Address||Zmaja od Bosne 3, 71000 Sarajevo|
|Telephone||+387 33 668 027|
|Open||Tuesday - Friday: 10:00 - 19:00|
|Weekends||10:00 - 14:00|
Ars Aevi Museum of Contemporary Art Sarajevo
The Ars Aevi Museum of Contemporary Art (whose name is a partial anagram of “Sarajevo”, meaning “art of the epoch” in Latin) was founded during the war, in 1992.
A group of enthusiasts led by Enver Hadžiomerspahić invited artists from all over the world to give some of their works as a symbol of support for Sarajevo during the Siege, while also building up a collection for what would later become the Sarajevo museum of contemporary art.
Ars Aevi’s unique collection arrived in Sarajevo in 1999 and shows about 150 works of art donated by some of the most renowned local and international contemporary artists. Today, this collection is considered one of the most important collections of modern art in Southeastern Europe and can be viewed at the Ars Aevi Art Depot in Dom Mladih, where it will stay until the museum’s new facility on Wilson’s Promenade is built.
The design for the new museum was put forth by the Italian architect, Renzo Piano, who also donated the materials used for constructing the pedestrian bridge that spans the Miljacka River near the site of the future Ars Aevi Museum. In recent years, Ars Aevi has organized many exhibits in Sarajevo by prominent artists, such as Michelangelo Pistoletto, Joseph Kosuth, Joseph Beuys, Bizhan Bassiri, Maja Bajević, Jusuf Hadžifejzović, Jannis Kounellis..., all of whom have donated some of their own works to the museum’s collection.
|Address||Terezije bb, Sarajevo|
|Telephone||+387 33 216 927|
|Open||Monday - Sunday: 10:00 - 18:00|
Museum of Literature & Performing Arts
This Sarajevo museum deals with the collection, preservation and presentation of items which tell the story of the development of the history of literature and the performing arts in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Founded in 1961 as the Museum of Literature, it was further expanded nearly a decade later to cover topics that related to the performing arts scene in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It’s located in the heart of Sarajevo in an old family house that was built in the middle of the 19th century, making it a fine cultural-historical monument. The house was originally owned by the Skarić family and then the Despić family, whose members bequeathed both this object and Despić House to the city of Sarajevo. The latter now houses an annex of the Museum of Sarajevo.
The museum’s holdings include 67 literary and 17 theater-related collections which contain more than 20,000 items. There are also permanent exhibits: Silvije Strahimir Kranjčević’s Study Room and the Bosnian Rooms of Petar Kočić, Hasan Kikić and Isak Samokovlija. The ground floor of the museum, the Mak Gallery, has served as an exhibit space since 1992.
|Address||Sime Milutinovića Sarajlije 7, Sarajevo|
|Telephone||+387 33 201 861|
|Open||Monday - Saturday: 10:00 - 19:00|
Vijećnica Sarajevo Museum
Vijećnica Museum is in the basement of Vijećnica, a building that is not only one of the most recognizable symbols of Bosnia and Herzegovina's capital city, but also a world symbol of the meeting of civilizations.
While Vijećnica was undergoing reconstruction, plans were made to include a space for the installation of a permanent exhibit about the building’s original construction, its incineration and renovation, as well as the major events that this building saw during its turbulent history.
The permanent exhibit is still in the process of being completed so, in the meantime, visitors can take a look at the exhibit, “Sarajevo City Hall Revisited”, by Nedžad Mulaomerović. The exhibit tells the story of Vijećnica’s reconstruction, which took nearly two decades to complete.
Another exhibit on display is, “Sarajevo 1914-2014”, which has been done in cooperation with the JU Museum of Sarajevo and tells the story of Sarajevo over the past 100 years, including the story of one of its most important symbols – Vijećnica.
Svrzo’s House Sarajevo
The Svrzo’s House represents the lifestyle of an urban Muslim family in the late 18th and throughout the 19th century.
A prominent Sarajevo family, the Glodos, built the house. A member of this family was a kadi (an Islamic judge-administrator), famous for his involvement in Bosnia’s struggle for autonomy within the Ottoman Empire. The family failed for want of a male heir, and the property passed by marriage to another prominent Sarajevo family, the Svrzo's. Svrzo’s House is a typical example of the architecture of that period, with its division into the selamluk or public quarters and the haremluk or private, family quarters.
It was purchased from the Svrzo family, refurbished and opened to the public in the 1960's. Following the siege of Sarajevo, the house was renovated and again opened to the public in 1997. Further major renovations were carried out on the house in 2005, when the roof was repaired, the cobbles were relaid, obsolete service installations were replaced, and the painted decoration on the musandera (built-in range of cupboards) in the main halvat (drawing-room), which had faded over the years, was restored. The Museum has published a bilingual – Bosnian and English – monograph on Svrzo’s house.
|Address||Glođina 8, Sarajevo|
|Telephone||+387 33 475-740|