Kotor, a UNESCO-listed World Natural and Historical Heritage Site, is a picturesque and well-preserved coastal town, in a secluded channel of a Montenegro bay. While cars are not allowed within Kotor’s Old Town, you can typically wander through the narrow maze of streets with cobblestones, packed with souvenir shops and traditional cafe's, and climb 1,350 steep steps to view the town’s ancient fortifications, mountains, breathtaking turquoise bay, coastal towns, and buildings that date back to the medieval times. If you are adventurous enough, try paragliding from atop the surrounding cliffs.
Cathedral of Saint Tryphon in Kotor
The Romanesque Cathedral of Saint Tryphon (Sveti Tripun) is from 1166 and built on the place of a small Romanesque church from the 9th century. It is three-nave Basilica, extensively restored several times, especially after the 1667 earthquake when the bell towers and a part of the façade were destroyed. After the earthquake, new bell towers were made in the Baroque style. The rose windows on the façade are those which attract the special attention. Once they were Romanesque but today they are with Gothic-Renaissance motives. St. Tryphon’s Cathedral has in its possession a rich collection of art paintings preserving the works of Marin Lovra Dobricevic, Tripo Kokolj, Paolo Veroveza, Hieronim Santa Croce and other great artists. The church has a rich collection of gold and silver relics, the works of local masters from the period from the fourteenth to the eighteenth centuries. The interior of the Cathedral has frescoes done by Greek masters. The most important part of the interior decoration of the Cathedral is the Romanesque Gothic ciborium from the fourteenth century above the main altar. On the wall of the apse there is the Golden Altarpiece with figures of Christ, the Virgin, St. John the Baptist and St. Tryphon and sixteen other saints. It is the masterpiece of Kotor goldsmiths’ work of the first half of the fifteenth century.
|Address||Trg Sv. Tripuna, Stari grad, Kotor
|Telephone||+382 32 336 242|
Church of Saint Luke
The church of Sveti Luka (St. Luke) in Kotor on the square Piazza Greca has the traits of both Roman and Byzantine architecture. This church is the only edifice in town, which has not suffered significant damages during the earthquake in 1979. The church of Sveti Luka (St. Luke) was painted immediately after the construction of which only the fragments on the south wall remained. Daskal Dimitrij the founder of Boka Kotorska painting school Rafailovic did the iconostasis of the church from XVII century. This used to be a Catholic school, more precisely until the middle of XVII century, but later because of the wars and the arrival of the Orthodox people in Kotor it was given to Orthodox believers for use and it represents a testimony about the harmonious co-existence of Catholic and Orthodox people. The church today is significant because of the fact that it has two altars, a Catholic and an Orthodox one. The floor in the church was made of tomb panels on joined graves of citizens of Kotor, because until 1930’s the burying were held in the church itself.
|Address||Trg Sv. Luke, Stari grad, Kotor
Church of Saint Ana
We can talk about St. Anna's (Sveta Anna) church only on the basis of the characteristics of its architecture since the historical data dealing with the earliest periods of the history of this church have not been known. According to the characteristics of its style, St. Anna's church is dated at the end of the 12th and the beginning of the 13th century. The church was built as a single nave building with a dome. Its interior is dismembered by pillars and transverse arches of the vault on three transcripts . Over the middle transept there is a dome archaically conceived with regards to the domes of other single - naved Romanic churches in Kotor with which St. Anna's church is linked according to the solutions of the western the façade, the frieze of blind arcades on the façade's, applied decorative system and so on. On the northern side of St. Anna's church, soon after the completion of the church, a side chapel was added elongated towards the west during a later reconstruction of the church after some of the 16th or 17th century earthquakes. The western façade of the chapel was made of stone from a gothic style building wherefrom a small double-windows over the portal was transferred. During the reconstructions of the church in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, St. Anna's church lost much of its original looks. After one of the earthquakes in which it had been damaged it lost its dome. The biggest changes of its looks occurred during the middle of the last century when both apsis were removed, the walls were raised and southern façade got new wide openings. The interior got baroque looks and the building was put under a two sided roof. During the last decade, very complex and extensive works were done on the church with the aim of exploring its architecture, consolidation of declining walls and vaults, reconstruction of the original shapes and presentation of the total of its monumental values. At the course of these works the remains of fresco painting were discovered and preserved in the northern chapel, inside the church as well as on the western façade of St. Anna's church. The dome was restored to the extent that enabled the data obtained during the research. For the outside shape of the drum it was not possible to find any data thus, modern material was used to show the difference from the original parts. The apsis on the eastern side were reconstructed, as well as the original looks of the portal. St. Anna's church has its cult - function again.
Church of Saint Mary
The church is located in Old Town of Kotor from the Northern side next to the Sea Gate. The church is the most popular sightseeing of Old Kotor built in XIII century on the site of the Cathedral church. The church was built in honor of St. Mary, but since St. Ozana's relics are kept in the church, hence double name of the church.
The history of St. Mary's started in the first quarter of XIII century, specifically since 1221. The church was built on the holy place, seeing that previously Early Christian basilica of VI century used to be here. Baptistery and some fragments of church furniture were found near an ancient basilica's base. Today these findings can be seen in the sacristy on five feet below the existing bottom level. The façade of the church is made of interleaved horizontal rows of pink and grey stone, gabled roof and dome are covered of stone tiles. A notable detail of the exterior is original molded doors with 24 hammered images depicting scenes of life in Old Kotor. The frescoes of the temple were made by Greek artists in XIV century, but just fragments were kept in the apsis and Southern wall.
Church of the Healing Mother of God
Situated on a hill that overlooks the Old Town, the Church of Our Lady Health (Gospe od Zdravlja) affords visitors with beautiful views of the town and the water beyond. The church dates back to the 15th century. It was built half way up St. John’s Hill. Following numerous plague epidemics, the church became a votive church dedicated to prayer.
Prince's Palace in Kotor was founded in the XVIII century and belongs to the most valuable monuments of Renaissance architecture. This building does not stand out any frills in the architectural solution. The construction is not bright baroque features, except for curly brackets that support the long balcony. For the first time, the palace was used as the Venetian governor of his residence, and in 1788 the palace was turned into a military barracks and military warehouses. The shape of the building is strongly stretched, it has a length of 60 m and a width of 6 m, this feature of the architecture made it very vulnerable to all earthquakes. In 1979, during an earthquake Prince's Palace which was almost completely destroyed, its debris capturing and other neighboring buildings. The construction is gradually restored, and today the palace is completely restored thanks to the owners of small shops on the ground floor of the palace.
Napoleon's theater was built in the eighteenth century. In 1810 the French occupying authorities reconstructed this building to establish regular theater, one of the first in this country. To turn it into the theater, they had to break down the northern façade. This building was considerably damaged in the 1979 earthquake when its southern façade was almost completely destroyed. The restoration of the façade was carried out in all details by academic sculptors and builders from Macedonia. The interior of the object was entirely adapted for an exclusive restaurant and entertainment object.